Hey boxing fans. I had the pleasure of interviewing the man they call the Magic Man, Paul Malignaggi: Malignaggi is back on the fast track with his last fight being a TKO over power puncher Michael Lozada in Canada. The Magic Man is ready and hungrier than ever to claim his spot in the Welterweight division. Forget disappearing acts, this man is here to stay:
10 Questions with the Magic Man
1. M.D. Walton: Thanks again for taking the time out for this interview. You’re a class act. Congrats on your victory over Lozada. Do you feel rejuvenated as a fighter since your move to Golden Boy and your victory?
Paulie Malignaggi: Yes, of course. It always feels good to get a win back under your belt. Not only the win and the move to Golden Boy, but also moving up in weight. Just my health alone made me feel rejuvenated. No one understands besides fighters that making weight is horrible on the body. I just couldn’t make 140 anymore.
2. M.D. Walton: What’s next? I hear Jan Zaveck wants to make a name for himself in the U.S. and you called him out. If that fight happens, what is your prediction? Will it be another Malignaggi T.K.O or a vintage Magic Man boxing clinic?
Paulie Malignaggi: Every fighter wants a knockout; it looks good on the resume and the fans love it. I go into each fighting with a victory in mind. It doesn’t matter how it comes. As long as my hand is raised at the end of the fight.
3. M.D. Walton: What are your thoughts of some of the big fights moving over to Showtime/CBS from HBO?
Paulie Malignaggi: I really don’t have much to say about that. They must have a reason for going over to Showtime.
4. M.D. Walton: There are a lot of boxing tournaments starting to happen it seems. The Bantamweight and the Super Middleweight on Showtime. Do you feel HBO should do a Welterweight Tourney? If approached, would you take part in one?
Paulie Malignaggi: It’s a great thing because it makes these fighters fight. They have to fight each other, no ducking. Everyone knows Malignaggi doesn’t duck anyone and I would love to be in a tournament if it happens. Not sure if some of these fighters want to fight each other (lol) , but if it happens you can count me in.
5. M.D. Walton: Do you feel more mentally focused out here in L.A. as a fighter in regards to training? Or are you more comfortable being in your hometown?
Paulie Malignaggi: I love it in L.A. The atmosphere, the training, the weather. I personally think it’s been a great camp and move coming to L.A.
6. M.D. Walton: I don’t know if people know where the nickname “Magic Man” comes from? Tell us.
Paulie Malignaggi: Going to make these belts disappear.
7. M.D. Walton: Who do you look up to as a fighter? Who do you consider a hero or a mentor? Who motivates Paulie Malignaggi?
Paulie Malignaggi: I will always look up to my good friend Arturo Gatti. (R.I.P.)
8. M.D. Walton: Forget Mayweather/Pacquiao for a minute. Who would you want to see each one of them fight (besides yourself) in the interim before the big fight is made?
Paulie Malignaggi: I would like to see them get in the ring with Sergio Martinez, Paul Williams. Also Manny vs Marquez.
9. M.D. Walton: What do you want boxing fans to remember about Paulie Malignaggi when all is said and done?
Paulie Malignaggi: I want people to know that I put my all in each fight and that I put my heart and soul into every performance.
10. M.D. Walton: If I had a Crystal Ball, I’d see this happening: When Cotto beats Mayorga and Yuri Foreman beats Wolak, I foresee a future co-feature event at Yankee Stadium in July (Cotto/Margarito II) and (Malignaggi/Foreman). Any thoughts?
Paulie Malignaggi: I like your Crystal Ball.
My Crystal Ball predicts Malignaggi will be around for a while. If you saw the last fight, you saw that Malignaggi going up in weight has not lost any of his speed. Don’t be surprised if you see Paulie with some hardware around his waist this year.
People I’d like to see him fight in the near future: Jan Zaveck, Zab Judah, Yuri Foreman, Andre Berto, Juan Manuel Marquez. I’m pretty confident Golden Boy will make it happen. He deserves the best fights out there.